Friday, July 16, 2010

Bike Riding

(Written at the beginning of June. Guess I forgot to post. Oh well, better late than never!!)

Ok, so back in March Keaton got a bicycle for his birthday. We made sure to get one big enough for him and I found some training wheels that would fit. We got him set up and put him on it....well, he was SCARED  to death. The training wheels were of very little help. We had to walk on either side of him and pretty much hold him up so that he wouldn't fall down.

When summer break started he began asking to RIDE every afternoon. Our kind neighbor across the street tried to help us make the training wheels work but I felt like there had to be a better solution. Last Saturday afternoon we loaded up Keaton and his bike and headed down to Howard's (locale bike shop). Thankfully they hooked us up. Now Keaton can ride independently. We usually walk along beside of him to the stop sign and back. He is going faster and has learned to turn around. He doesn't use the pedal brakes. Instead he puts his feet down like Fred Flintstone. I know he will eventually learn to use the pedal brakes. He can learn to do just about anything.

On a scary note about bike riding.....yesterday when I thought Keaton was following be into the back yard he didn't. I finished spraying my roses and went back inside. The front door was opened so I knew he had gone outside. I stepped out on the porch and he was no where to be seen. I stuck my head back inside and asked Connor if he had seen him. He wasn't inside. When I went back outside to look again, I realized his bike was gone and he was no where to be seen along our street. PANIC started to set in. I headed down the street not knowing exactly what to do. When I got to the stop sign, I turned left and saw his bike in the next driveway. (Everytime we get to the stop sign he wants to go left.) THANK GOD nothing happened to him. I am so thankful he has learned to ride his bike and can do it independently, but man oh man did he ever scare me by taking off on his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment